REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
LOCATION: La Jolla, California on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
FLSA STATUS: This is a full-time, non-exempt (hourly) position, eligible for a full array of benefits including health insurance and 403(b) retirement plan
COMPENSATION: $15.50-$16.50 per hour
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line – “Office Administrator”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 105 world premieres, commissioning 60 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
STATEMENT OF JOB
The Office Administrator serves as the first point of contact for visitors to La Jolla Playhouse and performs general office work including mail and shipping, reserved parking scheduling, and providing administrative support to departments.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Front Desk: Answer incoming calls.
- Review voicemail and forward to appropriate staff.
- Review, forward and respond to general e-mail inquiries.
- Greet visitors and address their questions and needs.
- Coordinate and provide work direction to volunteers covering the front desk.
- Keep reception, mailboxes/packages, and copy room areas clean and organized.
- Assist with Lost & Found.
- Mail and Shipping: Coordinate mail pick up and drop off at post office.
- Coordinate with UCSD campus mail and deliveries.
- Distribute mail, faxes and shipments to appropriate person(s).
- Prepare AP checks to be mailed.
- Keep up-to-date with mailing and shipping guidelines.
- Assist staff with outgoing shipments.
- Order mail and shipping supplies.
- Office Administration: Coordinate office supplies order. Ensure sufficient on-hand supplies of all office forms, letterhead, labels, envelopes and paper supply for copiers and fax machines.
- Maintain service for all copiers, fax machines and printers.
- Assist with staff onboarding including training.
- Update phone staff extension list, mailbox name label and cubicle or door name signs.
- Order name tags for staff and volunteers.
- Assist with offsite storage.
- Monitor and maintain water cooler upkeep.
- Reserved Parking: Oversee the scheduling of reserved parking spaces for staff and guests.
- Provide general administrative support to departments.
REQUIREMENTS & PROFICIENCIES
- 1-2 years office management or receptionist experience
- Strong customer service skills, including friendly phone manner and helpful, professional demeanor
- Ability to drive and willingness to occasionally run errands, as needed. In order to drive a company vehicle, applicants must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Strong computer skills, including Word/Excel and Outlook
- Must be extremely organized, with great attention to detail
- Flexible and willing to assist with coverage in other departments during fluctuations in volume, vacation coverage or leave of absence coverage and as required by business need and management team.
- Ability to work with highly confidential information in a professional and ethical manner
- Takes initiative in solving problems and improving processes
- Alignment with the values of La Jolla Playhouse
- A commitment to uphold and support the Playhouse’s Anti-Racism Action Plan
- A passion for the arts – and more specifically, theatre!
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment