REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Individual Giving
LOCATION: La Jolla, California on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
FLSA STATUS: This is a full-time, non-exempt (hourly) position, eligible for a full array of benefits including health insurance and 403(b) retirement plan
COMPENSATION: $15.00 per hour
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line – “Philanthropy Assistant”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 105 world premieres, commissioning 60 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
STATEMENT OF JOB
The Philanthropy Assistant provides administrative support to the Philanthropy team, including ordering supplies, preparing purchase orders, tracking RSVPs for events, managing VIP parking, coordinating processes for birthday cards and holiday cards, assisting in donor stewardship tasks and supporting Philanthropy events.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
GIFT ENTRY, ACKNOWLEDGMENTS AND STEWARDSHIP (65%)
- Tessitura Gift Entry: work with Philanthropy Operations Manager to learn all steps of gift entry and run daily acknowledgment reports.
- Process departmental acknowledgment letters: print and send acknowledgements and tax receipts daily, work with Philanthropy staff to update acknowledgement templates quarterly, and prompt staff to make personal calls or send personal notes in addition to formal acknowledgements.
- Manage donor correspondence including birthday and holiday cards.
- Prepare and place notes and chocolates (seat gifts) for our donors.
- Coordinate and track gifts and cards for anniversaries, sympathy and get-well occasions.
- Support “Friends” and “Ovation Club” donor levels management and tracking.
- Support Planned Giving solicitations and Revelle Society (legacy gifts) tracking.
- Assist Philanthropy Coordinator in other donor stewardship tasks as needed.
EVENT ASSISTANCE (20%)
- Support Philanthropy team in planning and execution of donor events.
- Manage FormStack Invitations (creation and maintenance).
- Track RSVPs for special events and backstage tours.
- Track Events in Tessitura.
- Attend and assist with Gala, Innovation Night, Opening Nights, and other special events as scheduled.
DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATION (15%)
- Assist with preparing Philanthropy department budget expenses for tracking.
- Manage purchase order process, prepare and process bills.
- Order all Philanthropy office supplies.
- Co-manage day-to-day Reserved Parking availability and scheduling.
- Perform other administrative duties as needed.
REQUIREMENTS & PROFICIENCIES
- Flexibility and adaptability are core to success in our philanthropy department
- A positive attitude and spirit of teamwork
- Comfort working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Alignment with the values of La Jolla Playhouse
- A commitment to uphold and support the Playhouse’s Anti-Racism Action Plan
- Ability to drive and willingness to occasionally run errands, as needed. In order to drive a company vehicle, applicants must have a
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Availability to work select nights and weekends, specifically related to Philanthropy events
- Strong attention to detail, including editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Suite of programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) preferred
- Ability to work with highly confidential information in a professional and ethical manner
- A passion for the arts – and more specifically, theatre!
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment